San Fernando Valley Bar Attorney Referral Service
If you are a lawyer needing a referral on a case that you cannot take, please fill out our Attorney Referral Request Form or call Rosie Cohen at (818) 227-0497.
The San Fernando Valley Bar Association’s Attorney Referral Service (ARS) gives members an opportunity to build their practice and provide individuals and businesses in the San Fernando Valley and adjoining communities who need legal counsel or information with experienced and qualified attorneys who meet their legal needs.
The SFVBA Attorney Referral Service provides attorney referrals for members of the public in Los Angeles and Ventura counties.
Why Join an ARS Panel?
- ARS Generates over $1 Million in Attorneys Fees A Year
- ARS Is A State Bar and ABA Certified Attorney Referral Service
- ARS Aggressively Markets The Service To The Public
- ARS Staff Screens Potential Clients To Help Ensure That Individuals Truly Have A Legal Problem With Which An Attorney May Assist
- ARS IS NOT A LEGAL AID PROGRAM
- ARS Attorneys Are Eligible To Participate In The San Fernando Valley Speaker Bureau
- Reasonable membership rates
$25 new applicant fee
$225 annual SFVBA member rate
$500 annual non-SFVBA member rate
ARS Qualifications and Eligibility Requirements
Membership is an individual membership and is extended to a person who:
- is licensed to practice law by the State of California for a minimum total of three years;
- is a member in good standing with the State Bar of California;
- regularly maintains offices for the private practice of law within the greater San Fernando Valley, Eastern Ventura County, Antelope Valley and adjacent areas (contact ARS for information on exceptions to this rule);
- has not been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude;
- has met the qualification standards for all panels for which the person has applied;
- maintains a minimum level of malpractice insurance of $100,000 – $300,000, and a reasonable deductible;
- agrees to all provisions of the ARS Application and Agreement for Membership;
- agrees to an initial client consultation free of charge to the client; and
- agrees to remit 15% of attorney fees received to the ARS; this fee is only 10% on senior program referrals.
For more on eligibility requirements, review the ARS Local Rules of Procedure.
The general application and panel applications can be downloaded below. Docs are in PDF format which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader; see Adobe logo below to the left to download free of charge.
Submit the documentation by submitting form above, email, mail or fax to:
San Fernando Valley Bar Association
Attorney Referral Service
5567 Reseda Blvd, Suite 200
Tarzana, CA 91356
FAX: (818) 227-0499
How ARS Works
- Governed by State Statute with oversight by California State Bar.
- California State Bar Rules and Regulations pertaining to attorney referral service.
- Local Rules of Procedure apply.
- Public requests a referral to an attorney through online request form or by calling ARS office.
- Potential clients are screened to determine type of legal problem.
- Attorneys names are provided to the potential client on a rotating basis.
- Appointments are then made with the attorney.
- Attorney submits 15% forwarding fees to ARS office as attorney is paid attorney fees.